Friday, June 26, 2009

The age of information

While air travel can be a trial these days, I still enjoy the peaceful feeling of being in the skies. I try to take the time to read, to think, and to clean out my inbox.
If something huge happened, or a big playoff game was going on, the captain might play news anchor and break in with an announcement or a score.
Those days are over.
Yesterday's news of Michael Jackson's death came while I was on American Airlines flight 117 from NY to LA...which was equipped with wifi.
My husband, king of breaking news, got to do the informing this time, letting the captain and crew in on what he learned from the control room he created with my laptop and his I-Phone.
Putting aside the fact that airline seats don't really give you enough elbow room to use a computer, it was a watershed moment in media history.
While as a broadcast journalist, I should have been happy to have the chance to see how a big story was being covered, as a person who always enjoyed the isolation of the air, it made me a little sad.

No comments: